Skip to content Skip to sidebar Skip to footer

What to do after being cited in another state

In the event that you are cited for a traffic offense while driving in Louisiana, you could be subject to a fine, points on your license or other penalties. If you live outside of Louisiana, authorities will likely report the citation to the relevant agency in your home state. Take a closer look at the process of resolving an outstanding citation that you receive while traveling far from home.

The citation will provide further instructions

The citation itself will inform you of the date, time and location of your court hearing. Generally speaking, the hearing takes place at the court closest to where the infraction occurred. Alternatively, you may be allowed to respond to the ticket by mail. This might be your best option if you plan to plead guilty to a speeding ticket, moving violation or another minor charge.

What happens if you fail to respond to the citation?

Failing to appear in court, respond to the court by mail or take other steps to resolve the matter could result in your license being suspended. If your home state doesn’t take action, you may be prohibited from driving in the state where you were cited until the matter is taken care of.

Your insurance rates may go up

Regardless of how you choose to handle a citation that you receive in another state, your auto insurance rates will likely go up. However, it may be possible to negate this increase by going to traffic school. It’s worth noting that your rates might not go up until after your policy expires. In the meantime, it may be possible to find a new policy with an insurance provider that won’t punish you as severely for committing an infraction.

If you receive a traffic citation, it may be possible to dispute it in court. An attorney may be able to help you convince a judge that an officer made a mistake when citing you for speeding, running a stop sign or committing other potential violations.